21 December 2012

Addition to the sidebar, ammo.net

The recent unpleasantness in Connecticut caused some retailers to step back from freedom.

You don't know who your friends are until things get dark, and times get tough.

I was contacted by the owner of Ammo.net with a not about his company and their philosophy on individual freedom.  I have not purchased ammunition from ammo.net, but I believe that Wes is sincere in his vision.  So I've added ammo.net to the sidebar, and if you do purchase commercially loaded ammunition, please give them a shot and let us know how the service is for you.  Comments are open (as always for any post under a week old) for anyone who has used ammo.net to share their experience.

UPDATE: ZerCool in comments pointed out the Luckygunner.com/bulkammo.com/ammo.net connection with links to Linoge's site, Wallsofthecity (see sidebar).  Luckygunner.com was quite enthusiastic about courting the gunblogger community (you can find plenty of reviews about the hosted shoots with free ammo).  Heck, anyone remember the ammo girl skirt kerfuffle?

I don't think this is a scam, I think this is a different take on the same strategy of "e-guerrilla advertisement" except that instead of inviting gunbloggers to hosted shooting events they appeal to patriots by donating 1% of the purchase value to a pro-freedom organization.  Personally I prefer retailers that participate in the "NRA Roundup" so to me this is a natural extension of that for people who love freedom and think the NRA isn't doing enough.

Was it unethical behavior to try to portray different e-stores as separate entities?  Yes, I can't think of any way to make that look like an ethical business practice.  However, do I expect corporations to act ethically?  No, I expect corporations to be in the business of making a profit.  And getting back to that binary logic fallacy, having multiple storefronts and not telling the public they are the same entity is a much less egregious ethical lapse than polluting a river or using sweatshop labor.  However I didn't have any skin in the game of the luckygunner.com events, so I don't feel betrayed or misled as others who were. 

7 comments:

MrG's said...

I heard that cheaper than dirt and dicks basically wussed out. I would like to find out who all the retailers that caved on this issue. So I would know who to avoid. Matter of fact I would make a post on that.

ZerCool said...

It's worth taking a read of Linoge's pieces here and here regarding ammo.net/bulkammo.com/luckygunner.com.

The short form is: they're all one company and they've played the SEO game to a T with bloggers trying to drive traffic. In the process they alienated quite a few of us. Just my nickel.

Walter Zoomie said...

So...is this a scam...or what?

Because I got an email today from "Wes" at ammo.net saying how he digs my site and would send me a gift card code for some (free?) ammo.

I find it hard to believe an online ammo company would give me free crap for flying their button when I get about 5 readers a day at my crappy blog.

I put a button up for them, but now I'm a little doubtful...

AM said...

I don't think it is a scam. Linoge proved that it is the same someone setting up different e-stores (no warehouse, manages logistics straight from factory to customer) to see which takes off and which doesn't. Sometimes people will set up an e-store solely to sell it later on.

I don't mind a 1% donation to Soldier's Angels/NRA/GOA/SAF with each purchase. Money is a weapon system in every war.

I remember when LuckyGunner.com got a bunch of good press from hosting shoots for bloggers. Ammo.net may be trying a similar strategy in discount codes/coupons for bloggers.

If the product is at the right price, pro freedom groups are getting donations, then I'm pretty happy.

John Robert Mallernee said...

Comrades-in-Arms:

A couple of months ago, prior to the election, I also got a request from Wes at AMMO.NET, and just like you guys, I added his web site link to my web site's sidebar list of "RECOMMENDED WEB SITES".

He didn't offer me any ammunition, nor did I receive any compensation other than the personal satisfaction of being able to help the guy out, AND the utter astonishment at learning that SOMEBODY actually looks at what I write!

I don't know anything about the scams you guys are referring to.

So far, everything appears (to me) to be completely honest and above board.

Thank you, and - - -

MERRY CHRISTMAS ! ! !

John Robert Mallernee
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Gulfport, Mississippi 39507

Peter said...

I'm afraid I respectfully disagree with you. I regard the whole Luckygunner affair, including all the companies involved, as not only unethical, but a deliberate attempt to scam consumers. I say this because after being exposed, they didn't even bother to apologize, and didn't explain anything - just carried on, hoping that enough people wouldn't notice.

I note, too, that Andrew at Vuurwapenblog is now involved with them. It worries me that people whom I otherwise respect would associate with those I regard as 'untouchable' in an ethical sense. Of course, anyone's free to associate with anybody ... but in this case, the egregious nature of their deliberate deception is something I can't condone.

YMMV, of course.

Anonymous said...

All companies scam customers in some way or another. They're out to make money. Its how capitalism works.

W.p